Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It's the Little Things

I'm just gonna come right out and say it.

I didn't want to work out last night.

There. It's said and it's honest. I got home from work and spent the night running around making dinner, grocery shopping, and attending a phone meeting so by the time that was all said and done, it was 9pm and I was tired. I didn't want to work out. I wanted to sit down and veg for a while. I wanted to turn on the tv or open my computer and play around on Tumblr.


Why are you even looking for a source??? Guess!


Instead, I did the hard thing, I did my weight lifting. As I've said before, my Mondays and Thursdays consist of 5 rounds where I do 1 pull up, 5 pushups with a 20lb weight vest, 5 squats with 50 lbs, shoulder presses of 15lbs, and bicep curls with 15lbs. I get 3 minutes of rest between each. I decided to try to reward myself for working out by spending those 3 minute breaks clicking around on Tumblr anyway and that honestly helped. It felt like I was getting both things I wanted. Ok, it was only one thing I really wanted and one thing I needed to do, but you get the point. 

When it was over, I was sore, even MORE tired, and dragging around the house. 

But you know what? 

There was also a tiny bubble of triumph. I didn't want to do the workout but I did anyway and there's something to be proud of in that. A lot of my friends think I just work out and that it's either easy or that it's something I look forward to. On some level, I guess I do look forward to it but not because I enjoy working out, I just enjoy the results. I'm just like most people out there, I don't WANT to hurt, I don't want to ache, I don't want to sweat and grunt while hefting around weight. I just want to relax and enjoy my day but I triumph over those parts of me and have to work hard to get the motivation to keep going sometimes. Any time I do is a victory. 

Go me. :)  


 

2 comments:

  1. Love reading about your progress and determination! You're definitely right - Go You! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephanie! It means a lot to have the encouragement. :) I just want to give a real life look at what it takes to get into the shape I'm aiming for. I think a lot of people assume there's something wrong with them because they find it difficult but it's not easy for anybody. :)

      Delete