Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A little breather

Day 3:

Today is my down day. I get a rest between all the working out so my muscles have a chance to build up after the horrible things I've just done to them. Working out isn't the only part of this plan though, eating right is also important. Now, I've admitted I like junk food and before I met my husband, my idea of eating healthy was having hotdogs instead of perogies slathered in brown sugar and butter. Don't judge till you've tried it. It's GOOOOOOD.  I've gotten much better about fresh foods since those days but I still prefer eating out to eating in. 


That doesn't work too well with this program though and if you're anything like me, the words "health food" conjure up images of cardboard topped with a single slice of lettuce. Fortunately, there ARE actually lots of healthy recipes out there that don't take long to make and are chock full of flavor. I refuse utterly to eat anything that doesn't have a lot of flavor so trust me on that last part.

Yesterday I promised a simple recipe for my After Workout Cherry Smoothie. This is really simple so here goes:


Ingredients:

  • 2/3 cup frozen cherries (I just get generic Publix brand)
  • 2/3 cup yougurt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup Bolt House Farm Vanilla Chai Protein Drink (You can get this in any grocery store in the fruit section)


Put all four ingredients into a blender. Blend till smooth. Gulp down. That's it! 

Easy, huh? The result is pretty darn tasty too and yes, it's healthy. The yogurt and milk are good for bones, the cherries give you sweetness without added sugars, and the Chai tosses in some extra protein for growing muscles. This is surprisingly satisfying after a workout and it takes away the hunger really well. That buys me enough time to whip up a quick dinner. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You + me + the weirdly amazing raw foods place around the corner from my house? You wanna?

    They have this garlic kale salad thing that is crazy good.

    (Now I want a smoothie. Thanks for that.)

    ReplyDelete